At the tail end of my pregnancy with Ella I was in full nesting mode when I decided to make 30 Freezer Meals in one day. One of the meals I made and froze was called Pierogi Casserole. It has since become a family favourite. The original recipe called to use cream of mushroom soup from a can but I have since omitted this from my recipe.
This is a great make ahead meal perfect to bring as a main dish or a side. Definitely making this for the next potluck I go to. If my husband doesn’t manage to inhale it beforehand lol.
Ingredients for Pierogi Casserole
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 Tbls butter or margarine
- 1 cup Milk
- I cup Sour Cream
- 1 pack of Frozen Pierogis
- 4 Strips of Cooked Bacon cut into small pieces (Real cooked bacon bits would also work)
- 2 Green Onions chopped
- 1/2 -2/3 cup of Shredded Old Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Hot Sauce to Taste (Optional)
Directions for Pierogi Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease Casserole / Baking dish and set aside
- Using a small sauce pan on med heat, melt the butter
- Once butter is melted add the flour stir and cook for about 5 minutes
- Add in the milk and seasoning.
- Once the milk is fully incorporated add the sour cream and let everything cook for 2-3 minutes.
- In large bowl add pierogies, sauce and bacon and mix all together.
- Place in Casserole / Baking dish and cover.
- Place in Oven for 45 minutes
- Uncover the dish add green onions and cheddar cheese and place pack in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese.
- Take out of the oven and let stand about 10 minutes before serving.
This should serve 6-8 easily as a main dish. I usually serve with a garden salad. You could easily make this a vegetarian dish by omitting the bacon and using pierogis that are meat free. I usually use either Bacon Onion and Potato Pierogies or Cheese and Potato ones. My family inhales them every time. This version is much better then the canned soup version which we thought was really good.
Give it a try, you may have a new yummy dinner in your rotation.